If you considering remodeling your home, there are a few simple things to consider as you plan your new kitchen, bath or home addition.
- Give yourself enough time to carefully consider the details.
- Look at the space you have now. How do you use the space now and how do you want to use it after the project is finished?
- What new features will you need in order to use the space as you envision?
- Do a careful “needs assessment.” Then prioritize these needs in case your budget won’t accommodate all of them.
- What do I need?
- Why do I need it?
- Who will use it?
- How often will the space be used?
- What is the traffic flow? How is the space connected to the rest of the house?
- What do I need to fit into the space? A fireplace? Grandmom’s favorite couch? A pool table?
- How much natural light will you have?
- Compare the space to others you have seen. Have you been in a room that you think would be the perfect size and do what you want this room to do?
- Clip out photos from magazines or download ideas from the Internet.
Next time we’ll talk about how to decide on a budget.