Our population is aging and as mom and dad grow older it is becoming more common for baby boomers to invite them home. You basically have two options: place parents in an assisted living facility or care for them inside of your home. Inviting your parents to live with you creates its own set of challenges. How do you preserve privacy for yourself and for them? Both of you are adults, set in your ways, and not likely to change. The best solution is a home addition that allows for independent living. You can be in the same house while maintaining privacy.
In addition to the standard mother-in-law cottage here are remodeling solutions you can use.
The space above your garage is often underutilized. By installing a fully functional apartment above your garage, mom can have her own living quarters next to your main house. We recommend installing a small kitchen, bathroom, and laundry room in addition to a living and dining space. This can all be accomplished above the standard two car garage.
Some of the benefits of a garage apartment are:
- The exterior can blend in with the existing house for a customized, beautiful look.
- Your parents can have a separate entrance for additional privacy.
- An elevator can be installed inside the garage for increased safety.
- This is a completely separate living space that is adjacent to your home.
If you have an existing basement you can finish it off to become a comfortable apartment. By adding a kitchen, laundry room, and full bathroom it can easily turn into a comfortable living space for elderly parents. This is an easy transformation for families that had a basement playroom for kids that have since moved out of the house.
Benefits of a basement apartment:
- An easy transformation that doesn’t disturb your main living space.
- Privacy with separation from your main living quarters.
- Easy to get to your parents if they need you for any reason.
- You can have a separate entrance installed if there isn’t one already.
Guest Suite within Your Home
We can review the existing footprint of your home and identify ways to create a private guest suite. Your new guest suite can be a beautiful and private space. We can extend the existing footprint of your home, or combine existing rooms to create a single space. When designing a suite for your parents include a separate living area for the couch and television. We can also install a stand-up washer/dryer unit in the closet for added convenience and privacy. This is an ideal solution when your parents have medical needs that require additional attention.
Benefits of a guest suite:
- You can stay in close proximity to your parents if they need additional assistance.
- This is an ideal solution when your parents are living with you part of the time and with other siblings part of the time.
At Cipriani Remodeling Solutions, we can remodel your home to create spaces that are perfect for your family. Whether it’s making space for mom or installing your dream kitchen – we can help.
Providing kitchen remodeling, bathroom remodeling and room addition design / build services for all of South Jersey including: Audubon, Burlington County, Camden County, Cherry Hill, Collingswood, Deptford, Eastampton, Gibbstown, Gloucester County, Haddonfield, Marlton, Medford, Mickelton, Moorestown, Mt. Holly, Mt. Laurel, Mullica Hill, Sewell, Shamong, Sicklerville, Swedesboro, Turnersville, Voorhees, Washington Township, Wenonah, West Deptford, Woodbury
NJ HOME IMPROVEMENT CONTRACTOR REGISTRATION #: 13VH00028600