You don’t have to be a millionaire to have a fabulous wine cellar. With so many local wineries introducing fantastic varietals at entry level prices, good wine is accessible to everyone. All you have to do is visit your local wine shop or Whole Foods to try wine from all over the country and the world. Sharing a glass of wine is just as much fun as drinking one, and what better place to share a bottle of wine then in your very own wine cellar. You can have a romantic and cozy wine cellar in your home, regardless of how big or small of a space you have to work with.
Here are our ideas for designing the perfect home wine cellar:
- Space. Determine the size of space you have to work with. Many home owners locate their wine cellar in the basement. The temperatures are cooler and ideal for wine storage plus the out of the way location makes it feel more like an adventure. If you don’t have a basement, consider turning a small room into a wine cellar or using a corner of the family room or end of the hallway.
- Temperature. A wine cellar should be cool and the temperature fairly consistent. Avoid too many windows or a room that has direct sun exposure.
- Storage. A wine cellar must have beautiful built-in storage to house and showcase your favorite varietals. Shelving can prominently display your most exclusive bottles while standard bottle storage in a crisscross pattern can house the majority of your collection. Consider locking cabinets for your most expensive and rare vintages.
- Refrigeration. No wine cellar is complete without a wine refrigerator for your white wine and summer Rose.
- Counter Space. A wine cellar should have a built-in counter for opening bottles of wine, laying out horderves, and pouring.
- Glasses. Install places to hang wine glasses in a variety of sizes so that you can easily grab the correct glass for the type of wine you are pouring.
- Lighting. The lighting in your wine cellar should be dim to enhance the romance of the space.
- Seating. The best home wine cellars have a table and chairs or couches for sitting, and sipping, delightful wines. Make your wine cellar a room that guests want to linger in by providing a comfortable place to relax.
- Flooring. Install tile with earthly textures and colors or use wide planked wood floors for a rustic look. Wine is influenced by the earth, by the soil it is grown in, sun that beats upon the grapes, and local growing conditions. The flooring in your wine cellar should be earthy and grounding.
- Color. Use a subdued, earth tone, color pallet in your wine cellar for a room that is soothing and perfect for relaxing.
- Music. Have an entertainment system installed with built-in speakers. This keeps beautiful music in, and house noise out.
At Cipriani Remodeling Solutions we turn your dreams into a reality. If you love wine and want a place to share it with friends – we can help. Regardless of how big or small your space is, we can design the perfect wine cellar for your home.